March 12-27 (2014): Scheduling a meeting

posted in: Project Updates | 0
As we near the end of Phase I of the Framing Project, the recording of issues from 325 to 500 on our project website https://sites.google.com/site/princetonframingcoinage/home , it’s time to look ahead to the next step. The original plan has been to have Phase II comprise an examination of coin circulation in this period through the recording of hoard and excavation results into a spreadsheet or database. This semester at Princeton, I’m leading a seminar on pretty much the same topic as the project, which includes the five members of the project on campus at present. We’ve been using the seminar as a workshop to try out some of the methodology of the larger project. In our discussion of the recording and mapping of finds, we’ve realized just how complicated it is to do this in a rigorous but uncomplicated way (which should come as no surprise to anyone who’s dealt with the topic). It has occurred to us that it might be better for the logistics of the project to switch Phases II and III as originally conceived and move next to the survey of minting in the period 500 to 750 rather than circulation in the earlier period.

We’re trying to schedule an online meeting (using Google hangouts, as before) to discuss this and any other issues that have arisen in relation to the project. The most appropriate time from my point of view (and others in residence on campus) would be during our scheduled seminar time: Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 11:40 a.m. Princeton (EDT) time. Could you check your calendars for April and let me know which, if any, of the following days might work for you for an online conference within these hours: April 3, 10, 17, 24. If this is a bad time for you in general, let me know what would be better.

If you are having difficulties posting results to Phase I on the site, or any other issues with communication or any other aspect of participation in the project, let me know.

Best

Alan