I was very pleased with how the online meeting went last week, and am encouraged about the viability and potential importance of the project. Though most of the active participants were online or present with us in Princeton, I think it worthwhile reviewing what we discussed and looking ahead to the next phases.
The website https://sites.google.com/site/princetonframingcoinage/home is running well; those of you who do not have password access to it, contact Lee Mordechai , firstname.lastname@example.org , to set it up. Similarly, for those of you who have not yet posted a picture and bio onhttps://sites.google.com/site/princetonframingcoinage/the-team , please do so – I’m tired of looking at avatars and Latin gibberish.
We are working with the Digital Humanities people at Princeton to create a project database that will allow easy entry for both issues and finds, and automatically link the two related databases to generate find spot data (written or mapped) for issues and conversely issue data for finds. At present, the best way to record issues is with an Excel spreadsheet, and the finds recording forms have not yet been finished. For this reason, we are re-ordering the phases of the project to continue with recording issues rather than moving on to finds for the 325-500 period.
We’ve also decided to break up the next phase of entering of issues into smaller chunks (with correspondingly shorter deadlines). So, we’ve set as the next phase for entering issues the years 500-565, to cover all of the mints opened/re-opened by Justinian in the West, as well as the Burgundians in Gaul, the Suevi in Iberia, etc. This gets us into the period of pseudo-imperial coinages, which are hard to slot into an issue table; let’s adopt the convention that if there is no specific information on which to date a pseudo-imperial issue, we will enter it into the spreadsheet in the years of the reign of the emperor which it copies (or the years of the specific imperial issue copied). At this point, please put your entries on an Excel spreadsheet, formatted in rows year-by-year and columns for mint and denomination as before, and email the spreadsheet to Lee, who will mount it on the site. Similarly for those whose earlier entries need editing – or who are not caught up on their earlier entries, send the data by email to Lee for mounting. The deadline for getting all issues up to CE 565 is June 1, 2014; if your schedule won’t permit this, let me know.
We would like to schedule another online session to discuss progress on either May 29 or June 4, 2014, in the morning by Princeton time. Would each of you let me know about availability on either of these days.
Our goal is to get all issues online by the end of 2014, up to CE 750, or whatever date around then makes historical sense for each area. We would like to have an informal face-to-face meeting in Princeton in spring of 2015 to discuss findings to that point. As I will need to raise money to cover expenses, please give me an idea of when you might be available for a weekend meeting in April, May, or June 2015.
The International Numismatic Congress, which convenes every six years, will take place in Taormina, Sicily, on September 21-25, 2015. I don’t think we’ll be ready to present results publicly as a group by then, but I encourage each of you to work up what you’ve found in your research on the project (or any numismatic topic) at that venue; proposal forms for papers and poster sessions are now available athttp://www.xvcin.unime.it/ .
I look forward to continued success working with all of you on this project.